From the President April 2019
Spring has SprungGreetings in the name of Jesus from the hub of the B. H. Carroll nexus in Irving, TX. Spring has sprung, and pollen and possibilities are in the air. I love this time of year for the new growth in creation and the full engagement we have with our faculty, students, and Teaching Churches.
Parker Palmer reminds us that “before spring becomes beautiful, it is plug ugly, nothing but mud and muck.” But spring also “teaches [us] to look more carefully for the green stems of possibility.” (Let Your Life Speak, 103-04) Pollen and possibilities, mud and mulch combine to bring new growth. I know you experience both in your life, and I share with you the certainty of growth through a relationship with Jesus Christ.
One sign of growth at Carroll is in the addition of new Teaching Churches in the Carroll nexus. We now offer courses through covenant partnerships with PaulAnn Baptist Church, San Angelo, TX and Concho Valley Baptist Association; Waypoint Christian Church, Landstuhl RP, Germany; and Bacon Heights Baptist Church, Lubbock. We also have a beta test with Gulf Coast Baptist Association to offer courses to their association churches. We will add two new churches in the fall to our network of ministry partners and re-engage some of our long-time Teaching Churches.
Here are some upcoming events for which I would ask your prayers and for which you may participate.
- Our next semi-annual Governor’s Meeting will gather at the Carroll Center in Irving on Tuesday, April 30. These stewards of our mission and vision will elect new officers, new board members, adopt our 2019-20 operating budget, and approve our graduates among other action items. They will enjoy a fellowship lunch with the faculty and staff here at the Carroll Center. Carroll was chosen to receive a grant from the InTrust Center for Theological Schools for board development. The Wise Stewards Initiative will serve to improve the quality of work the Board of Governors perform for us. Please be in prayer as these men and women gather to seek the Lord’s leadership in completing our mission. You can pray for our Governors by name here.
- The Frank and Pauline Patterson Spring Colloquy is May 20 and 21 at the Carroll Center in Irving. Our guest lecturer is the world-renowned Old Testament scholar, Dr. Tremper Longman III, who is the Robert H. Gundry Professor of Biblical Studies at Westmont College. He earned a B.A. in Religion at Ohio Wesleyan University, an M.Div. from Westminster Theological Seminary, and a Ph.D. in ancient Near Eastern studies from Yale University. Dr. Longman has authored or co-authored over twenty books and written numerous articles. His lectures will be based on the biblical books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job. The lectures are open to the public. If you would like to attend the lectures and a fellowship dinner Monday evening, you can register here.
- This year’s Convocation and Graduation will be held at First Baptist Church, Waxahachie, TX on Friday evening, May 24. My friend, Dr. Albert Reyes, President and CEO of Buckner International, will bring a message to our graduates, and the Singing Men of North Texas will inspire us with their voices. This is a time of celebration and worship, and you are invited to join us as we mark this milestone in the lives of our graduates.
- Do you know someone God is leading into ministry? Please share this link with those you know who may want or have need of training through B. H. Carroll. Encourage them to begin the journey of answering God’s call on their life with us. We will follow up with them, answer their questions about preparing for ministry, and encourage them along the way!
- As always, if you want to give to support the global mission of B. H. Carroll, go here. I am eternally grateful to all who give faithfully so we can equip men and women called to serve Christ and his church. You are God’s answer to my prayers when you give and pray for Carroll.
- We cannot do what we are called to do without the power of the Holy Spirit and the prayers of our partners. If you would like to become part of the Carroll Prayer Network and receive weekly updates on how you can pray for the Carroll family, go here. I personally cherish your prayers and count on them daily as I serve with you.
Serving Him With You,