When Jesus was asked by the teachers of the law which commandment was the most important, he responded,
“The most important is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’”
Christian worship is one of the primary ways that we obey this great command. Through corporate and private worship of the Triune God, we express our love for God and deepen our relationship with Him. When we present ourselves as a living sacrifice to God, we honor and glorify His name and in the process, we become more like Christ through the work of the Holy Spirit. Other people are also drawn to Christ when we worship Him.
Most of the classes required for the M.A.W. program are offered Online & In Classroom.
The Master of Arts in Worship degree prepares persons for competent leadership in worship ministry in congregations and other settings. It is a professional program that prepares individuals to:
- Plan and lead worship services that are built on biblical principles and patterns, that are shaped by essential Christian doctrines, and that exhibit sound principles of design and function
- Teach others the biblical, theological, historical, and cultural dimensions of worship and the implications of these for planning, leading, and experiencing worship
- Lead the church to understand the various elements of worship and appreciate diverse styles and expressions of worship
- Model awe and love for God and educate the congregation in personal, family, and corporate worship, and
- Model openness to the broad spectrum of worship experiences in history and in various cultural contexts, and lead a congregation to explore ways these may be used in planning and leading worship.
The central goals (adapted from ATS standard D.2) of the Carroll M.A. in Worship degree, as an advanced program that is oriented leadership in worship ministry, include the following:
- Goal 1:
- Master of Arts in Worship degree recipients will give evidence of capacity for critical and constructive theological reflection regarding the content and processes of worship ministry
- Goal 2:
- Master of Arts in Worship degree recipients will give evidence of understanding of worship planning, design, and history and competence in worship leadership within the cultural context in which worship ministry occurs.
- Goal 3:
- Master of Arts in Worship degree recipients will give evidence of growth in personal and spiritual maturity.
Interested in the Master of Arts in Worship program?